Youtube links ( Lolita in American )
Lolita fashion (ロリータ・ファッション)is a fashion subculture originating from Japan
- It's mostly inspired by Gothic fashion from western countries, Retro fashion, Victorian and Rococo era fashion.
- Lolita fashion started in Japan in the early 90's late 80's as a street fashion in Harajuku
- The name lolita originates from the Portuguese word for Girl or little girl
- Lolita was helped to be popularized by the more feminine visual kei (or "visual style") artists. Visual kei is a fashion among Japanese musicians (usually males), featuring make-up, elaborate hair styles and flamboyant costumes. Mana, the cross-dressing guitarist of the bands Malice Mizer and Moi dix Mois, is widely credited for having helped popularize Gothic Lolita. He coined the terms "Elegant Gothic Lolita" (EGL) and "Elegant Gothic Aristocrat"
- The original silhouette is of a knee length skirt or dress with a "cupcake" shape assisted by petticoats, but has expanded into various types of garments including corsets and floor length skirts. Blouses, knee high socks or stockings and headdresses are also worn
- The style it self have evolved immensely over the years, and has spread around the world. With large communities in Europe , Australia , Canada , Mexico , and of course the US.
Where can I find out about Gothic Lolita fashion?
- In Japan there are month publications released about Japanese street fashion in Japan.
- The main one is Gothic lolita Bible which is released Bi-monthly followed by a month magazine called KERA
- It features how to do you make-up , your hair , sewing patterns , decorating ideas, recipes, what new prints of styles will be coming out for the next season.
- The magazine also features pictures of girls on the streets.
Sub styles of Lolita
- Old school lolita uses a lot less bright colors. Simple designs
- Which is allot of Bats and crosses.
- Sweet lolita which is pinks and and pastel colors.
- Classic lolita which is more Victorian and Rococo inspired styles.
- Boy style and Aristocrat which is a more Male oriented fashion.
- Other sub categories are Sailor Lolita , Kuro lolita , Shiro lolita , boy style, Hime lolita, Guro lolita , Qi Lolita, and Wa lolita. )
- Lolita fashion isn't a very cheap fashion.
- Outfits generally cost anywhere from $120- $600 depending on what you wear and the popularity of the print.
- Allot of girls mainly buy second hand since it's pretty difficult to find pieces brand new.
- In Japan these have allot of consignment shops such as Closetchild where you can go in and buy prints for much cheaper then retail. Or use sites such as Mbok or Yahoo Japan
Misconceptions with lolita.
Some people think that lolita is a fetish. Which is very untrue. Allot of girls do this for themselves and not to attack men. Lolita is a very modest street fashion .
Lolita is trying to attract pedophiles. The very opposite. Lolita is a rebellion that started in Japan. Also pedophiles like little girls not grown women in frilly dresses. We don't get into it because it is some sort of misplaced pedo complex or anything, and the objective isn't simply to emulate little girls, despite the name Lolita
That the name lolita is associated with the book lolita. Which is also untrue. The name lolita originates from the the Portuguese word "girl".